Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Type of Headache - the big bad migraine

I went ahead and posted my post from my informal/family blog just to have it here. I love that I wrote it- I seemed to hit on most points that come up when it comes to headaches. I plan on using it as a road map to expand on issues I am dealing with or have dealt with and most importantly, how I have learned from them.



As a teen, my headaches were classified as *migraine*. What is a *migraine*? In very simple terms a *migraine* = owie, owie, owie, leave me alone( usually followed by please or now). The pain is mostly on one side of the head with pounding or throbbing accompanying. I would sometimes have some vision changes which the doctors took as the #1 sign of being a *migraine*. In a few words it has something to do with vessel constriction. Mind you I am no doctor, and have only taken three biology classes, I will only discuss what I have found to be true in my experiences.

I don't think I have true *migraines* very often. Yes, I do get headaches so bad I need to spend a day in a dark room only eating crackers. But normally my head just hurts. I personally don't like calling my headaches *migraine*. How can I function with a *migraine* that the media claims to be so debilitating. Is there such a thing as a walking migraine? Why when I mention the word *migraine* the doctors stop any questioning and feel satisfied with that? Is there a doctor out there that I can completely explain my headaches and other wide-spread pain to that might tell me its something else?

I will put another post later with my triggers for headaches. I have one right now, of course, and looking at the computer screen, sitting in my less than ergonomic computer chair does not help. I am tired-- I want to be done with pain- anyone else know the feeling?

No comments:

Post a Comment