Sunday, January 18, 2015

How do you self care?

I have come to loathe the term:  "Self-Care". 

Full Definition of LOATHE, transitive verb :  to dislike greatly and often with disgust or intolerance :  detest

Why?  Self-care is so important.  It is vital to anyone now-a-days, especially a single mom who goes to school full time, works part time, has chronic headaches, can never seem to get enough sleep, has three wonderful very energetic children.... 
 
Because "self-care" is a term that should take care of all my issues so I can go forward and do what I need to do to keep myself happy and all those around me happy and all my obligations in tact.  If I am not getting enough rest, or my headaches are being relentless, or I don't feel like going to work, or my kids are driving me nutso, it is obviously my own fault because I am not engaging in "self-care".
 
Since when did "self-care" become a burden?  I think it became a burden when I realized I am not getting enough of it, and I am not able to get enough of it because of what is going on in my life at the moment.  I can't do everything for everyone, and I can't do a lot of things for myself.  So every day if I can grab a moment of what I like to call SANITY by quietly filling up my water bottle and taking a deep breath, or taking a shower and spending an extra minute or two just stand there and relax, I have to accept that as the best I can do right now. I still get overwhelmed by school, chores, work, kids, and other obligations, BUT its the little moments I can take care of myself and they will just have to add up because I don't have time for a "self-care" hour a day, but if I am mindful, my self-care is just an inherent part of my day, and not another item on my to-do list.

No comments:

Post a Comment